Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Swimming

It was so good to be home again! I was bald-headed, of course, and certainly nothing to look at , so thin with a big horse-shoe shaped scar on top of my head… but I was no longer depressed! My slowness and constant tiredness were gone. I was beginning to feel normal again… oriented and alert.

Dr. Paysinger had released me from the hospital with no limitation on activities, so, with Larry and Barbara Bly’s invitation to come, I was swimming with them in their pool just twelve days after I got home. It felt so good to begin being active again after months of being “out of it” and sickly. I jumped into the cool, refreshing water and to my dismay when I came up, there, on top of that cool, refreshing water floated one of my “falsies” from out of my bathing suit. I was horrified! I was thin, but I didn’t realize I was that thin! It didn’t take me long to snatch it up… put it back in… and act as though it had never happened.

The summer sun seemed unusually hot this year… maybe because of my lack of hair. I was determined to get back into playing tennis again, in spite of the scorching hot days. If I needed an excuse for poor playing I could truthfully tell the others that I had a hot plate in my head.

My hair began growing back nicely… real short, but cute I thought. I was feeling like a new person.

No comments: