Saturday, October 13, 2007

Julie’s Marriage

Dr. Paysinger dismissed me, September 6, 1975, as my last post-operative appointment for I was “doing exceedingly well” and had, when tested, no sensory or motor deficit. I was playing a lot of tennis, doing most of my house and yard work, and feeling great!

Julie and Tim S. were married May 29, 1976, right after Julie’s graduation from college, and I, at last, got to wear my “mother-of-the-bride gown with shoes dyed to match”!

The bridal luncheon had been given earlier that day by Jack’s mother, Julie’s grandmother, and as a thank-you for being in her wedding, Julie took this opportunity to give each of her bridesmaids a little gift. When a small package was handed to me also, I was taken aback and very surprised. This must be a mistake! I was not a bridesmaid! In my bewilderment, I opened the gift… four little gold beads on a gold chain… with this message inside:

This is to celebrate
The miracle of your recovery.
These 4 beads represent
The love from your 4
Children. We appreciate
All you’ve given.
Love,
Julie

Four little beads… my four precious children…
exactly two years since the brain tumor. I immediately loved the gift… and wear the little necklace all the time. It has become a part of me. I will treasure it always. I knew this was to be Julie’s “special time” with her wedding, but I was finding it to be a very “special time” for me, also. It was hard to hold back the tears.

No comments: