Sunday, August 5, 2007

Baptist Hospital


Monday, April 29, 1974 with Eleanor’s wedding just one month away I saw Dr. Huggins a third time. It had already been decided, without my knowledge, that I was to enter the Baptist Hospital in Columbia the next day, “now that my diagnosis of depression had been confirmed.” Jack, after having been assured that “it would be the best thing for Ashlyn and that she would be feeling much better in time for Eleanor’s wedding”, signed a paper giving his permission to go ahead with treatment.

So, I was admitted to the Baptist Hospital on Tuesday, April 30… not really knowing why or what was going on. Unable to think well enough to even question, I was just doing what I was told to do. I was led up to the ninth floor and through two big, heavy doors which slammed shut behind me. And I was locked in.


No comments: