Friday, August 10, 2007

Pre-Senile or Brain Tumor


On Saturday May 25, 1974, a neurologist, Dr. Taber, was called to the Baptist Hospital to examine me. He wrote in a report about the examination, “In my opinion Mrs. Gray could have an organic disorder”.

Saturday night, May 25, in Orangeburg, my family was at a just-family (because of my condition)-bridal-supper given for Eleanor by friends at their home. Jack had been calling Columbia all day trying to get in touch with somebody who could give him a report on the neurologist’s examination. Finally Dr. Taber called Jack at our friends’ home and reported to Jack that, at this point, it was thought that I was either pre-senile or had a brain tumor!

O-O-O-O-Oh! Either would be terrible! We, our whole family, had known senility first-hand with Mother! …Or a brain tumor! O-O-Oh… No!! Either prognosis was awful!

(This was in 1974 and brain tumors weren’t prevalent like they seem to be today. We had never known anybody to have brain tumor! It was foreign to us… and very scary!)

These two possibilities faced my family this Saturday night… just one week before Eleanor’s wedding. She broke out in hives.

No comments: