Sunday, August 5, 2007

Shock Treatment

Shock Treatment

Little did I know that I was in the Baptist Hospital be given a series of unneeded, unnecessary shock treatments!

P. KENNETH HUGGINS, M. D.

1401 LAUREL STREET

COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA 29201

April 30 1974

Mr. Jack Gray _

Orangeburg, S. C. 29115

For Professional Services

Rendered to Ashlyn Gray

Initial inpatient evaluation $55.00

Inpatient psychiatric care (32
days @ $16 per day) 512.00

Electro-shock therapy with anes-

thesia (series of 9 treatments

@ $44 each) 396.00

$963.00

Shock treatments, as described for an article in The News and Courier newspaper by Margaret Salley Harrison who had had more than 100 treatments at different hospitals, are: “My memory is cloudy about some things, but not about the assembly line of stretchers lined up to go into shock. You’d be wheeled into a large room with massive machines and grotesque electrodes. They’d insert a mouth piece, cover my face with oxygen, and strap me down. Then I’d get a shot that put me to sleep… patients are put to sleep, then given a drug which temporarily paralyzes them so they don’t flail about when given the electric jolt and suffer injuries. It was very degrading.”

So it’s not so funny when shock treatments are jokingly described as someone hooked up to jumper cables.

No comments: