Saturday, March 8, 2008

Complications from the Skull Replacement Plate


About a month later, because I was unable to see the top of my head in the mirror, I asked my daughter Sally, who is a nurse (on one of her many visits home to be of help to me) to please look at the incision and see why it continued to itch. She took a long look at my scalp....... and then told me she could see the plate.

She scrutinized the incision further and saw that it was oozing.

It hadn't healed. Evidently, some stitches had popped loose making it possible for Sally to see the underlying plate. So, back to the hospital again to restitch my scalp. But due to the scarred tissue left from the removal of the first brain tumors the scarred tissue left from the removal of the second brain tumor and scarred tissue from the plate just put in, it was terribly hard to pull the two sides of the incision back together. The surgeons had not been able to catch but one of the layers of skin.... which leaves a hole in my scalp.

No comments: