Friday, March 7, 2008

The Plate that Protects my Brain

Even though the edges of the skull bone had been waxed during the removal of the tumor, the bone still felt sharp under my scalp. If I tried to sleep on my left side, where most of the skull had been sawed out, it hurt . If I tried to sleep on my right side, my paralyzed right arm would be cramped and send pre-seizure sensations. So since it was so hard to get comfortable, I had to take a sleeping pill and then sleep in the one position , on my back, for the twelve months until the neurosurgeons saw fit to go back in and put a plate in as a protection for my brain .

It was February, 1984, one year after the removal of the second brain tumor and about time for my birthday again. I would be 56. My head was being shaved for the third time and a plate would be surgically inserted. At last I would have protection for my brain. Because of the incision being slow to heal, I ended up having to remain in the hospital for nine days.......

Finally, Jack could take me home from the hospital to recover and to let the incision finish healing.

No comments: