Tuesday, January 22, 2008

SO MANY CHANGES


I remember humming to the radio as Jack drove me home to Orangeburg. I hadn't used my vocal chords in such a long time I was afraid they might not work anymore. So I was relieved to find that I could still carry a tune even though I couldn't sing any words. I had sung in our church choir ever since our church began in 1956 and music had always been such an enjoyable part of my life. I wouldn't be able to play the piano anymore so I clung to the hope that I might still be able to sing.

So much had happened me in the past three weeks-.....so many changes for my life......so many things I would no longer be able to do. As are drove along I learned from Jack that he had hired a part-time secretary who was to work from nine in the morning until twelve noon to help him in his office in our new house. I remembered now having heard Jack talking to Eleanor about somebody being young and good-looking but I had not understood what they were talking about so I hadn't made any connection.

Jack told me also, that he had hired a maid, to work from noon to four o'clock in the afternoon, to take care of me, to do the bookings to buy the groceries and run the house since I could no longer do these things. (So that's what Eleanor and Jack were talking about at the foot of my hospital bed when I overheard .....secretary ..............maid!)

No comments: