Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Problem with VISITORS

I was so bored. I couldn't enjoy television because I couldn't comprehend well enough to understand what was being said or to follow what was going on. It sounded like one big jumble of words to me. I couldn't comprehend unless the words were said very, very slowly, one word at a time, in order to let them have time to sink in. Nor could I read. I would look at a word on a page and see it, but, like a person who has never learned to read, the word had no meaning to me. I enjoyed looking at the pictures on the Get-Well cards and being told who sent them, but being able to read or understand the messages on them was an impossibility.

Visitors would come and talk with each others and not include me.
If they would only glance my way occasionally, as they talked, so I wouldn't feel excluded. Once in a while there would be a word I could understand, and for a second I would think I knew what was being said. But before I
could focus my thoughts on the one word, the conversation would have moved on, and I would be lost again. I began realizing that if you can't talk yourself, you're no fun to talk to, so you will be left out of the conversation and you, in turn, will feel lonesome. It all went together......in my mind.

No comments: