Friday, February 15, 2008

Helpers Were So Appreciated



We were extremely thankful for three excellent therapists and we realized how fortunate we were to have adequate insurance to help pay them. I had a wonderful husband, four precious children, and a maid, Myrtle, who all helped me with anything I couldn't do myself. They were dedicated to helping me recover, and were making it possible for me to devote all my time and energy to getting well and back to normal.

We had a lovely new home that backed up to a pond which afforded me a great place to walk and recuperate and friends who encouraged and cared about me. I had every advantage! And I felt truly sorry for those that didn't.

Several months after my surgery, I developed a real bad cough that hung on week after week. It scared me because it hurt my head to cough and I was afraid, with so much coughing, I might be popping something loose in my head. I had no protection for my brain... no skull bone...no plate...nothing between my scalp and my brain on the left side of my head. Without protection, I was terrified of maybe stumbling and falling or of being in an automobile wreck.

On my recuperative walks around the pond I had to be so very careful. I was unsure of my footing because of the uneven ground, so I had to watch my feet as I walked to guard against falling. No looking up at the gorgeous pink clouds as the sun was setting in the western sky. No looking ahead to the pond with the little yellow blossoms on the many lily pads. My eyes had to be glued on my feet.

It was not known at this time but it would be as much as a year after the removal of the brain tumor until the protective plate would be inserted, that would substitute for the bone that had been removed for my surgery.

No comments: