Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Typical Day

Breakfast

Slowly work at getting dressed (so slow with just one hand)

Appointment with either speech, physical or occupational therapy

Lunch

Nap

Walk; do exercises; do homework

Supper

Do cross-stitch with TV going

(And the same the next day, and the next day, and the next.)

It is impossible for a normal, busy person to conceive of the often boring, lonesome life that is felt by a handicapped person.

My life consisted of hardly anything but therapy and that was about all I had to look forward to. I loved the appointments with Teresa at the hospital, or with Henri or Mitzi who would come to the house. But when, for some reason, one of them would have to break the appointment I would be so-o disappointed, so blue and depressed. It meant I would have nothing to do the whole day and that I would be so bored. It meant, because I knew from past experienced that the hours.... would.... drag.... by.... ever....
so.... s1ow1y.......................and I.......would have......
nothing to do.

No comments: