Wednesday, February 20, 2008

SET BACK on My Recovery


It started gradually....almost undetectable. It didn't seem like much at first but I began feeling uneasy about it. Then I sensed something very wrong. I began experiencing lack of energy and weakness.....persistent weakness.....accompanied by general exhaustion. It now became a certainty; I couldn't believe what was happening. This just couldn't be true! What was wrong? I could feel myself getting worse by the day.

Jack called for me, and then went with me to an appointment with our family physician. Jack could explain things about my regression to the doctor that I would be unable to get across to him. The physician checked me but said he had no explanation as to why the regression was happening or what could be done about it.

We were devastated! At the same time my right arm would no longer reach out as it had been able to do just a week prior to this, or be able to swing to-and-fro as I walked around the pond. Now gradually, my arm was beginning to hang limply by my side, becoming paralyzed again.

(It would stay this way for nearly a year and during this time, as far as usage, it might as well have been cut off.)

And then I began finding that walking was becoming more and more difficult.... and exhausting. I could hardly walk without assistance and couldn't walk from one chair to another without feeling completely drained. My legs felt like they had lead in them. Even without exerting, I felt exhausted all the time. In a period of about ten days I was now dragging my right foot and my right arm was like that of a rag doll. I was losing it all....the little progress I had just made. It was a nightmare.

No comments: