Saturday, February 16, 2008

MY DEAR FAMILY- Everyone Helped

Jack was having to do almost everything for me.... including helping me get dressed. He would have to tie my bows, help me get my hose on, hook my pearls, change my earrings, get my bra hooked........ In fact, I found a little note I had written at this time describing my situation: Every day Jack would have to hook my bra for me. I hated to have to call on him every time I wanted to get dressed......when often he would be busy in his office. I didn't like having to be dependent! I finally progressed enough to be able to pick up one end of my bra with my good hand, switch it over to my bad hand for holding purposes, catch the other end with my good hand and take it around my back and on to my stomach. There I would be able to fasten the hooks with my good hand, then turn the bra around and stick my arms through the straps. I was so happy. I had crossed a milestone! And had come one step closer to independence, even though I had to lean on Jack for just about everything.

Jack was so good about doing things for me. He bought me shoes with velcro closures, so no strings had to be tied. He called the doctors for me and explained things to them since I couldn't. He was, and still is, so much help in preparing a meal, especially the Sunday morning eggs and cutting up vegetables for salads.

Because I love the yard so much, it made me so happy when Jack and John decided to outline the flower beds in the back yard with long boards that bend easily to separate the beds from the lawn.

Julie and Sally alternated weekends to come be with me and be on call for anything I needed done..... to cut my fingernails or toenails, to shave my legs or under my arms. They took their responsibility very seriously and came religiously even when Julie had to make the trip with her baby, Lane and during her pregnancy with baby, Nathan. Among other sewing jobs she did for me, Julie sewed velcro on a number of my jackets so I could close them by just touching the two sides together. This was such a big help since I could neither zip nor button.

And as you know Eleanor, very conscientiously, took the responsibility on her shoulders, of lining up Speech Therapy and other health care programs after making suggestions to Jack as to what I would need in the way of help when released from the hospital.

No comments: